If we want to change our experiences we need to change our way of thinking but that is easier said than done, especially when so many of us have a nagging critical voice in our heads telling us that things aren’t possible, that we are not good enough or that we are not clever or pretty enough. A vision board can intervene on that negative voice so can benefit anybody, whether you are in recovery or not.
What is a vision board?
A vision board is a tool which enables us to manifest everything that we want into building a brighter future. It is a reminder of the vast amount of possibilities and experiences that are available to us. Unfortunately, the one thing that can hold us back is our own belief system. It is possible to overcome this though!
How can vision boards help my recovery?
Vision boards can be extremely beneficial to anybody in recovery.
The theory of vision boards is related to the law of attraction. By displaying images, quotes and affirmations on a vision board, you are creating a visual representation of what you wish to attract in your life. For those with eating disorders or poor mental health, being asked to consider their future hopes and dreams, is often an inconceivable task. When you are entrenched in the habit of living life meal by meal or cannot see a way out, having to imagine your life in 5 or 10 years time, is particularly challenging.
At The Recover Clinic, the work we do isn’t just about freeing patients from destructive behaviours, but also about enlisting the motivation to live a full and happy life.
Something as simple as a vision board is a great start.
It can feel overwhelming or even intimidating when starting to create your first vision board but just remember, this should not feel as if it is a chore or that you will be judged. This should be a fun, inspirational and motivational activity – a montage that speaks or represents something to you. There’s no right or wrong.
If you are struggling with creating a vision board, start by thinking about what you want in one year’s time. Think about what makes you truly happy. Once you start, you’ll be amazed by what unfolds for you.
By sending images of a happy and healthy future into your subconscious, you will create positive feelings tied to your future. Daily reinforcement of these positive images will program your brain to think positively and attract what we truly want for ourselves.
What do I need to create a vision board?
- To create your own vision board, all you need is a large sheet of paper or a corkboard, a printer if you are using the internet for material, quotes, affirmations, magazines/images, scissors and glue/pins.
- Your vision board needs to be displayed in a prominent place where you will see it every day. The more you see it, the more you will believe it is possible and attract these hopes and dreams into your conscious awareness.
- You can organize your images any way you wish – the choice is yours! One idea is to split the board into sections relating to different life areas such as values and beliefs, people who inspire you, hobbies, self development/education/career, friends/relationships, travel (countries/places you would like to visit or even live in), health, material things you would like to manifest in your life etc. Another way is to just have 2 sections – immediate and long-term goals.
- Things and feelings change so move images around or remove them completely from the vision board if it doesn’t feel right.
- Write the date on the back of the back of the vision board.
We encourage people we work with to complete a vision board every year, and often, the difference in past and present vision boards is startling.
Visual stimulation is powerful… go on, explore who you are creatively!
Write For Us
Have you struggled with an eating disorder, body dysmorphia, mental illness or trauma?
We’d love to hear from you! Click here to email us about writing for our blog. Whether you want to share your story or an inspirational/motivational piece, you could help others who are experiencing similar thoughts, feelings and behaviour.